The Baptistery in Pisa was the second building to rise at the Piazza del Duomo. With a circumference of 104 metres, it is the largest of its kind in Italy. The Baptistery is famous for being the place where the scientist Galileo Galilei was baptised in 1564.
Construction began in 1152 by the architect Deotisalvi and was finished at the end of the 14th century. The lower part is made in Romanesque style, the upper part and the dome in Gothic style. The interior is fairly plain but has two beautiful masterpieces, Guido Bigarelli's baptismal font (1246) and Nicola Pisano’s pulpit (1260).
View location in Pisa, Italy.