The Charles Bridge in Prague is one of the most visited sights of the city. It crosses the Vltava river and connects the Old Town with the Lesser Town. The bridge was named after King Charles IV, who laid the first stone in 1357. It measures about 515 metres long and 9.5 metres wide.
From the 17th century, the Charles Bridge was decorated with 30 Baroque statues. They represent saints and patron saints, the oldest one is the statue of St. John of Nepomuk. He was executed by being thrown off the bridge during the reign of Wenceslas IV. All statues have been replaced by replicas, the originals can be found in The National Museum.
At both ends of the Charles Bridge are towers standing. The Old Town Bridge Tower in Gothic style and two bridge towers at the Lesser Town side. The lower tower is a remainder of the Judith Bridge which collapsed in 1342, the taller one was inspired by the Old Town Bridge Tower.
View location in Prague, Czech Republic.