Gaasbeek Castle was constructed in the 13th century to protect the Duchy of Brabant against invasions from the County of Flanders. In 1388 the castle was destroyed by the troops of Brussels in revenge for the assassination of Everard 't Serclaes, which was commanded by the Lord of Gaasbeek.
At the beginning of the 16th century, the Horne Family constructed a new brick castle on the ruins of the previous one. Gaasbeek castle was inhabited by several noble families during the following centuries. In 1921 it was donated to the Belgian state, since 1980 the castle is owned by the Flemish Community.
Gaasbeek Castle is open every day(except Mondays), from 1st April to 7th November, from 10:00 to 18:00. The park surrounding the castle, with several historical buildings, is open all year round.
View location in Lennik, Belgium.