Follow us on Pinterest

Cliffs at Etretat in France

Cliffs at Etretat

The cliffs at Etretat are part of the Alabaster coast in France. In this seaside town you can have a great view of the white cliffs and the natural archways that reach out into the sea.

Kapellbrücke in Lucerne

Kapellbrücke

The Kapellbrücke(Chapel Bridge) is a symbol of Lucerne and one of the most visited landmarks of Switzerland. It was built in 1333 as part of the city's fortifications and is the oldest wooden covered bridge in Europe.

Cubic Houses in Rotterdam

Cubic Houses Rotterdam

Designed by Piet Blom in 1984, the cubic houses are one of the most famous buildings in the world. The 32 houses are tilted 45 degrees, contain 3 floors and have a total area of 100 square metres.

Beersel Castle in Belgium

Beersel Castle

Beersel Castle, located in the South of Brussels, was built by Godfried van Hellebeke between 1300 and 1310. It has 3 massive watchtowers and is surrounded by a wide moat.

Manarola, Cinque Terre in Italy

Manarola

Manarola is part of the Cinque Terre in the Italian region of Liguria. The Cinque Terre consists of five villages located on the cliffs at the Mediterranean coast.

Beguinage of Lier

Beguinage Lier


Beguinage Lier


Beguinage Lier


Beguinage Lier


Beguinage Lier


Beguinage Lier


Beguinage Lier


Beguinage Lier

A beguinage is a closed courtyard where widows and unmarried women led a religious inspired life under the leadership of a ‘grand dame’.
The beguinage in lier, which dates from the 13th century, consists of 162 houses in 11 streets. It also has a convent and an infirmary, at the center of the beguinage is the St. Margaret's Church. The whole complex is surrounded by a wall, entrance is by a gate at the Schapenkoppenstraat or the Begijnhofstraat.
The Beguinage in Lier, together with 12 other beguinages, became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1998.

View location in Lier, Belgium.


Town Hall and Belfry

Town Hall and Belfry

The current town hall of Lier used to be the cloth hall. Today, only parts of the façade are left from the cloth hall after a complete renovation from 1740 to 1745 by architect Jan Pieter van Bauerscheit. Inside the building a magnificent Rococo staircase is the main eye-catcher. Also worthwhile is the collection of paintings and antiques.

Against the town hall stands the Gothic belfry tower. The tower dates from 1369 and was once part of the cloth hall. It is crowned with four corner turrets. These turrets were put there in 1911, when a renovation of the Belfry took place.

View location in Lier, Belgium.


Meat House

Meat House

The Meat House in Lier dates back to 1418 and had various functions during the centuries. It used to be the butchers' guildhall, since a few years it houses the cultural center. The building has been renovated and rebuilt many times. Its present facade is a Neo-Gothic reconstruction from 1920. The two lions at the entrance with the inscription S.P.Q.L., were originally standing outside the town hall, but were moved here in 1863.

View location in Lier, Belgium.


St. Gummarus Church

St. Gummarus Church


St. Gummarus Church


St. Gummarus Church

The Collegiate Church of St. Gummarus is one of the most striking examples of Brabantine Gothic style. Construction started in 1378 on the site where a Roman parish church once stood and was finished almost 200 years later. The oldest part of the church is the tower, its spire burnt down several times and was replaced by an octagonal Rococo bell tower. It now reaches a height of 80m. Highlights on the inside are the magnificent rood loft and the stained glass windows from the Middle Ages.

View location in Lier, Belgium.


Buyldragershuisje

Buyldragershuisje

The Buyldragershuisje is the former guildhall of the buildragers or dockworkers. It was constructed in the 18th century and was originally located on the Vismarkt in Lier. In 1958, the building was pulled down and was rebuilt on the Felix Timmermansplein, close to "De Fortuin".

View location in Lier, Belgium.


De Fortuin

De Fortuin


De Fortuin

De Fortuin(Fortune) is a popular cafe-restaurant along the river Nete in Lier. The building was probably constructed in the 17th century. It was originally used as a storage place for grain, later it became a coal depot, a lemonade factory, a workshop and the town warehouse. After a restoration between 1962 and 1965, "De Fortuin" received its current function.

View location in Lier, Belgium.


Prisoners' Gate

Prisoner's Gate

Like the Zimmer Tower, the Prisoners' Gate was part of the city fortifications. It dates back to 1375 and was built in Gothic style with classicist elements added in the 18th century. From the 16th century until 1930 it was used as a prison, hence its name. In 2009 the gate was fully restored, it now houses a museum and part of it is used by a hotel

View location in Lier, Belgium.


Zimmer Tower

Zimmer Tower


Zimmer Tower


Zimmer Tower

Lier's Zimmer Tower was originally part of the 14th century city fortifications. Since 1930 the tower houses the famous Jubilee clock made by Louis Zimmer. The clock consists out of one large dial in the centre, showing the exact time and 12 dials around the centre. These 12 dials show the zodiac, the solar orb and dominical letter, the weekdays, the terrestrial globe, the months, the dates, the seasons, the tides, the moon's age, the phases of the moon and the moon's orbit with epact.

The four figures on the right side of the tower(last photo) represent the four seasons as phases of human life. Every day at 12 o'clock a hatch under theses figures opens, showing a parade of Belgian personalities between 1830 and 1930.

View location in Lier, Belgium.


Maison Kammerzell

Maison Kammerzell

Built in 1427, Maison Kammerzell is the oldest building in Strasbourg that is still used commercially. The building was classified in 1929 as a historical monument and is renowned for its carved and ornate exterior. The interior features vaulted ceilings, stained-glass windows and is richly decorated with frescoes on all floors by Alsatian painter Léo Schnug.
Located in front of the Cathedral of Our Lady of Strasbourg, Maison Kammerzell now houses an excellent restaurant and a three star hotel.

View location in Strasbourg, France.


Ponts Couverts

Ponts Couverts


Ponts Couverts

The Ponts Couverts or Covered Bridges accros the river Ill, are part of Strasbourg's fortifications from the 13th century. The original bridges were made out of wood and covered by a roof. Along the centuries they were replaced by stone bridges and the roofs were removed. Today the three towers are all that's left from the old structure and its original name has stayed. The best views of the Ponts Couverts are from the panoramic terrace of the Barrage Vauban.

View location in Strasbourg, France.