Follow us on Pinterest

Place de la Concorde

Place de la Concorde

Place de la Concorde

Place de la Concorde

Place de la ConcordeThe Place de la Concorde is a the largest square in Paris, it is situated between the Champs-Élysées and the Tuileries Gardens. The square was designed by Jacques-Ange Gabriel, construction began in 1754 and was completed in 1763. On the square are two beautiful fountains, one is called 'Fontaine des Mers' and was added in 1836. The other one 'La fontaine des Fleuves' was added in 1839, both were made by Jacques-Ignace Hittorff.

In the centre of the Place de la Concorde is the 3300 year old Obelisk of Luxor. It is a 23 meters tall pink granite monolith and weighs 230 tons. The obelisk once marked the entrance to the Amon temple at Luxor. It was given to the French in 1829 by the viceroy of Egypt, Mehemet Ali.


0 comments: