The Gravensteen (Castle of the counts) in Ghent was build in 1180 by Philip of Alsace, who was count of Flanders. He was inspired by the castles that he saw while he was participating in the Second Crusad. The cross on the front wall is still a reminder of Philip of Alsace’s devotion.
In the 14th century the castle was abandoned by the counts of Flanders. After it was used as a courthouse and a prison the castle decayed. In 1885 the city of Ghent purchased the castle and renovated it completely.
View location in Ghent, Belgium