The medieval Castle De Haar in Utrecht is one of the largest castles of the Netherlands. Since 1391 a castle was standing at the current location. During the centuries it changed owners several times and was damaged severely. In 1892, Baron Etienne van Zuylen van Nijevelt, who had inherited the castle, started to rebuilt it. Under guidance of Holland's most famous architect Dr PHJ Cuypers, Castle de Haar was brought back to its former glory.
The park surrounding the castle was created by Henri Copijn after 1895. It has a rose garden, a Roman garden, a labyrinth, large ponds and is an excellent place for a picnic.
Castle De Haar is now a museum and is open to the public. It can be visited on guided tours, these can take up to one hour.
During the month of September the castle is closed when the Van Zuylen van Nijevelt family comes back for their month long stay.
View location in Utrecht, the Netherlands.